Sunday, September 30, 2012

Hotel Transylvania - Written Review

So, I've been busy working on new reviews and haven't been to the movies to see anything new.  To be fair, there wasn't really anything I wanted to see for the last month and a half.  However, there was one movie that I was looking forward to.  I've been waiting all September for this.  It's directed by the guy who created Dexter's Lab and Samurai Jack and stars Adam Sandler as Dracula.  This past weekend I checked out "Hotel Transylvania."
Hotel Transylvania, where the dead rest.
Before I say anything about this movie let me preface with saying that I can't remember the last time I saw a more truthful trailer for a movie.  If you want to know the feel, the mood, and the story of this movie this trailer says it all.  Now about the movie.  This movie is great.  Really, it's the best feel good movie I've seen all year.  The story is outline in the trailer, but in a nut shell Dracula builds a hotel for all the monster where they can stay and not have to worry about humans finding them.  However, a young man (human) accidentally finds his way to the hotel where he and Drac's daughter fall in love.  Drac tries to conceal that he's human so the other monsters won't freak out.  He tries to send the kid off, but hilarity and mayhem ensues.
That awkward moment you realize you forgot to bring the hand grenades for the raid.
This movie is hilarious.  The majority of the humor in this movie is actually watching the reactions the characters have to each other when something unexpected happens.  These characters have the most expressive faces I think I've ever seen outside of an anime.  They're great, they're over-exaggerated, and best of all they're funny.  Especially Dracula.  These characters really wear their hearts on their sleeves.  But that's not all.  This movie is riddled with really great sight-gags reminiscent of Looney Tunes.  If you like the humor in Looney Tunes, Dexter's Lab, or Johnny Bravo then you'll really enjoy this movie's brand of funny.  But wait, there's more.  In addition to the faces and the sight-gags it's all back by a really great script and great actors.
Gravity?  What gravity?  I don't know what you're talking about.
Adam Sandler and all the VA's are fantastic.  You can tell the great chemistry is there and that they had fun making this.  This movie features every single monster in classic horror plus some.  The jokes and action and story are fast paced and they pack a lot into a 90 min movie.  I would recommend this movie to anyone who has kids or anyone just looking to see a funny movie.  This is a great example of making a great funny movie with the need to add profanity, explosions, dirty humor, or nudity.  We need more movies that tell a good story without resorting to cheap tricks.  Overall, this is a great movie which I am most likely going to see again.

Film Crazy Adam approves and recommends this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment